Transporting things from one place to another is quite an intimidating procedure for many people. Organizing it actually takes quite a lot of time and requires some imagination. Packing things incorrectly can lead to real trouble, such as some items getting lost or damaged during transportation. Who wants to lose an expensive and perfectly functioning device, for example?
There are things you can do to ensure that all pieces in need of proper packing are indeed protected and will not suffer any serious damage. Also, the process as a whole shouldn’t be time-consuming – you’ll be able to deliver everything in one piece.
How to prepare for packing
When preparing to transport your belongings, you should have the following items ready:
- paper (you can use some newspapers);
- boxes or crates (preferably of different sizes);
- bubble wrap;
- strong bags;
- a marker to sign various packages.
Rules of packing and transporting
There are some rules that need to be observed during the transportation of appliances and household items to another place. For instance, you should avoid instantly going for fragile items such as dishware, decorative statuettes, or other things that can be broken too easily. It is best to start dealing with your stuff by packing sturdy items of small size: clothes, linens, books, etc. And only when you’re done with this part, proceed to furniture, home appliances and consumer electronics, and other important or large items.
It would be good for you to remember: in order not to lose any valuable items, documents, money, transport these things personally. You can place them in a separate folder or box for that.
There is also one weighty rule, which is observed by specialists in freight transportation. So, the weight of a box or any other container should not exceed 60-65 lbs (27-30 kg). It is very easy to check this if you don’t have a luggage scale at hand: try to move a box or a crate you suspect of being too heavy with your thumb. Didn’t work? You’ll have to move some of the items out of it.
The order of collection and transportation of things
To carry out the work as quickly and qualitatively as possible, you need to know about several important nuances of it. Those are related to the correct order of collection and transportation. Follow it, and your things will be grateful to you.
- So, first of all, collect things from the closets and cupboards. Bedding, curtains and other fabric items should be put in strong plastic bags. In this case, do not forget to sign all the bags, because linens and towels will quickly become necessary to you in the new apartment. By signed boxes you can make sure they will be easier to find.
- After that, start packing books. All kinds of periodicals (magazines, brochures, etc.) should be stacked, sorted by blocks of 20 pieces or so, and wrapped in paper. This process will protect the corners of these tender objects from damage. Disks should be packed in the same way, and then carefully placed in boxes. The voids that may form between the walls of the box and objects inside of it can be filled with soft cloth or paper. Then the boxes themselves should be sealed with scotch tape.
- Now it is necessary to start packing shoes and clothes. Suitcases or sports duffel bags of large volume will be quite helpful – it is better to pack summer clothes there. If you have some outfits that definitely should not be wrinkled, place them in garment bags.
- When packing tableware, it is necessary to pay attention to the sharp objects (knives and forks). They should be wrapped in packing paper and placed in the box in such a way as not to damage it (nor other items therein). Fragile items should be wrapped in bubble wrap, newspapers or soft cloth. Pots and cooking utensils should definitely be wrapped in several layers to prevent any damage to other items.
- Now you can devote some time to packing the furniture set. It is desirable to mark all detachable parts (at least). Your chairs, tables and so on should be wrapped in foil and packed in large containers with corrugated fiberboard at the bottom.
- If it is not possible to disassemble the furniture, all drawers and doors can be sealed with tape. Thick sheets of cardboard can serve as protection for mirrors – these should be tied with scotch tape or a reliable rope.
- Several bags should be provided for various accessories so that the small items do not get lost.
Useful tips for packing the home appliances
Home appliances have to be packed last. All the equipment should preferably be transported in the original containers, protected with Styrofoam. If this material is not available, you can use paper instead. In order to avoid any damage to the appliances during transportation, put sheets of paper between the equipment and the walls of the boxes.
Now you know how best to pack your stuff in case you need to participate in such a procedure. These few important tips should definitely be taken into account – adding some practical wisdom and experience to this largely chaotic process is definitely a good idea. Also, when packing is smartly organized, you have the best chances to keep your appliances in good condition.
And in case one or more of your devices is damaged, you should definitely turn to professional technicians. New Yorkers can always rely on a good electronics repair shop. If you can find somebody with enough experience in your locality – turn to them. This will help you enjoy the long and efficient service of your devices.